Wednesday, February 28, 2007

February 28, 2007 – Updates and Random Thoughts

Unfortunately I left my jump drive in my other computer so the planned blog for today isn't going to happen. Instead I have some updates on the Cutting's Edge and a couple of thoughts jotted down while commuting. The thoughts may eventually turn in to blog entries but they are worth throwing out there to chew on.

First the updates.
Many of you started visiting here because of The PM Podcast (www.thepmpodcast.com) interview on "How can I become a Project Manager?" There were over 6500 downloads of that episode! Cornelius Fichtner does a great job and I would encourage you to visit his site for other topics.

My next speaking engagement will be at the Practical Software Quality and Testing conference (www.psqtconference.com/2007west) on May 9, 2007 in Las Vegas. The topic will be “Avoiding Shock Therapy: A Case Study in Managing Directional Changes.” If your organization of company would be interested in having me speak, let me know (thomascutting@yahoo.com).

Cutting's Edge is closer to being "official." I have filed for a DBA (Doing Business As) in the state of California. I don't intend on quitting my day job any time soon, but....

Finally, Computerworld has accepted an article entitled "Management by Procrastination." Some of you may have read the blog series starting December 1, 2006 that is the basis for it. There isn't a date set for publication.

Two random thoughts.
The first thought is that in order to get ahead in your job and life, you have to hustle. Step up and offer to do whatever needs to be done to take the next step toward your goals. If you are not currently a PM and want to be, ask your manager for tasks to move you in that direction. Entering time and working the project schedule are usually things managers have little time for. It might be a good place to start. Another is taking meeting minutes. In addition to becoming a familiar face in management meetings you gain an understanding of how things work.

The other thought I'll let you ponder. One sign of maturity is recognizing and considering the consequences of your actions.

No comments: